Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Faces in the Freezer

Tonight Liz headed to Beavers to meet 3 girls from work who comprise her book club for a meeting, leaving me with the night alone.  I thought about being social and watching football with friends, but after a long four days, a night off with my "other friends" sounded nice.  Hey Drew, who are your "other friends" you ask?

Well, no offense real friends, but my "other friends" include Costco & Central Market.  I'll admit it, I love "goin' to the sto."

So while I recognize that the Big Box Store is not a real person, I did actually pick up 2 friends at the store tonight....


"Drew, the guy on that bottle resembles a good looking Swede like yourself?"  Coincidence?  I think not.

Enter Captain Sig Hansen, boat captain of the Berring Sea crab boat "Northwestern" and star of the Discovery Channel show "Deadliest Catch."



The men in the Keiser family are notoriously addicted to reality shows featuring lobster fishing, alligator hunting, and driving semis over frozen lakes.  So imagine my surprise when pursing the beer case I noticed that Rouge Brewing Company named a beer after my favorite crab fisherman.

The beer, named the Northwestern Ale, was medium brown in color with a rich, nutty flavor.  The beer was very similar in "flavor profiles" to a Fat Tire amber ale, and every bit as good.  So "Faces in the Freezer?"  Despite what The Flying Saucer, my favorite bar in Houston, says, I like my beer served in a frosty glass, and so, while I unpacked my groceries and cleaned, my beer bottle chilled in the freezer.

But Drew, "Faces in the Freezer" is plural, but you only mentioned your beer!  Well dear reader, never fear.  Trentino Gelato, a local Houston company, partnered up with a half dozen of Houston's top chefs to create gelato's inspired by the chefs.



Pictured above is Monica Pope, Chef/Owner of the restaurants Tafia & Beavers.  Monica is an alum of the 1st (and greatest) season of Top Chef Masters (in which Chicago chef Rick Bayless-our Hometown Hero-won 1st Place).  Every so often, Liz & I hit up Tafia's Friday 3 course lunch special which features creative takes on local ingredients.   Monica's gelato flavor is "Mascarpone with Berries."  Haven't opened it yet, but have high expectations!  Expect a full report out soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment